timing conventions

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

timing conventions

Postby EEHH » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:57 am

Hi all,
I am running a simple model and I have two questions.

1. What is the difference between stating

A = p ; and / or A(+1) = p(+1) ;

I know one means it holds at any time, and the other hold at expectation. Beyond that what does it really mean? can I use either one if both work ?

2. The equation above expressed at (t+1) is the FIRST FOC from a maximization problem. The SECOND FOC is

A(+1) = Z(+1);

The question now is can I use the FIRST FOC hold at (t) and the SECOND FOC hold at (t+1) ?? ...as:

[1] A=p;
[2] A(+1)=Z(+1);

would I be violating any rules by doing so ?
Ps. ( The reason I do so is that using both at (t+1) in a separate context the BK conditions fail ).
EEHH

Re: timing conventions

Postby jpfeifer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:20 pm

The first one means that the equation has to hold for every state of the world, while the second one means it only has to hold on average. That is a fundamental difference. Therefore you cannot use an arbitrary timing. There is a unique correct one you need to find. It is not valid to fudge the timing until the BK conditions are satisfied. As I said, there is one unique correct timing.
------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
https://sites.google.com/site/pfeiferecon/
jpfeifer

Re: timing conventions

Postby EEHH » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:20 pm

I assumed so. thank you !
EEHH

Return to Dynare help