A Question on mode_compute=4

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

A Question on mode_compute=4

Postby Econbee » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 am

Dear all,

In the optimizer when mode_compute=4 (Sims's csminwel), there is a indicator for convergence called retcodehat. It has several possible values, which are 0 (normal step); 1 (zero gradient); 3 (smallest stepsize still improves too slow); 4,2 (back and forth adjustment of stepsize didn't finish); 5 (largest step still improves too fast); 6 (no improvement found); 7 ('warning: possible inaccuracy in H matrix').

In my experience, 0 and 6 are the most frequent ones I got. I have been puzzling which one indicates convergence?

Thanks a lot!

Bing
Econbee

Re: A Question on mode_compute=4

Postby jpfeifer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:28 am

1 should indicate regular convergence, because the derivative at this point is 0
------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
https://sites.google.com/site/pfeiferecon/
jpfeifer

Re: A Question on mode_compute=4

Postby Econbee » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi, please referred to the attached optimization package downloaded from Chris Sims's webpage. It is the option mode_compute=4 in Dynare. If you run the example in the folder, you will do the optimization twice. The first time is based on numerical gradient with the convergence indicator "retcodehat" equal to 3. The second time is based on analytic gradient with the indicator "retcodehat" equal to 0. In my experience, 0 and 6 are often obtained. 1 is very rare. So I am just wondering if 0 indicates convergence.

Thanks!

Best,

Bing
Attachments
optimization.rar
(8.8 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Econbee

Return to Dynare help